Sunday, November 18, 2007

Quo Vadis, Domine?

During the reign of the emperor Nero, St. Peter was leaving Rome along the Appian Way (Via Appia Antica) when he encountered Christ carrying his cross in the opposite direction (toward Rome). St. Peter said to Our Lord, "quo vadis, Domine?" -- that is -- "whither goest thou, O Lord?" To which Jesus responded, "I am going to Rome to be crucified." To which St. Peter responded: "Lord, wast Thou not crucified once for all." Our Lord responded, "I saw thee fleeing from death, and I wish to be crucified instead of thee." Peter responded: "Lord, I go; I fulfil Thy command". Jesus then said to him, "Fear not, for I am with thee." At that, St. Peter turned back toward Rome, where he eventually received the crown of martyrdom.

- Apochryphal Acts of Peter and Paul

"Quo Vadis, Domine?" - "Where are You going, Lord?"

I've been asking this question deep inside of me for some time now as I try to discern my own place, my own particular calling within this great family of God, our Holy Mother Church.

"O Lord, in Your wisdom, You have given me a million good reasons why I should serve You and just as many ways for me to serve You. In Your mercy, my God, You have also made it clear to my heart that there is but one reason not to serve You and that there is but one way for me not to serve You."

It's four days before I turn 35.

And my most loving Jesus' will for me can be summed up in just one word:

"Accept", my blessed Savior says to me, "accept the life you are meant to live in Me, through Me, with Me and for Me".

"And fear not, beloved, for I am with thee -- even unto the end of the age."

No comments: